Monday, March 14, 2011

The Story Of The Conked Out Comp

As life would have it, my home PC conked out on me last Monday. Apparently, a chip on the motherboard was fried by the lightning. No, nobody was using the PC during the thunderstorm. What we didn't do was to unplug it from the main (wall) power socket!

So, please learn from our mistake. Remember ... it's not good enough to turn off your comp during thunder-and-lightning. You need to unplug it from the wall socket. And if you access internet connection via a cable to the telephone line, you have to unplug that cable from your comp too. Apparently, lightning can travel through the telephone line and fry your comp anyway!

We're lucky that our motherboard was under warranty and that only 1 chip was fried. It's being replaced and hopefully, we'll get our comp back in about a week.

In the mean time, I've got me a new laptop. :) My hubby had been pestering me for ages to get a laptop but I've never saw the need for one. I've never been a fan of laptops because I simply preferred working on the PC. However, the current PC catastrophe made me realize that we do need a backup, so this is what we got ...



It's the Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG. I'm liking it but I'm missing my PC all the same! I miss my PC's huge screen! I'm getting the hang of typing on an abbreviated keyboard and looking at the teeny-tiny 14-inch screen. :) I may grow to really like it yet, eh? ;)

3 comments:

Janicu said...

Ah, I feel for you. This has happened to me too. I didn't unplug the computer, and this was with a surge protector. Luckily my renter's insurance covered it.

Brandy said...

I'm glad your PC was under warranty! We have a surge protector for our plugs for our laptops, but we also unplug when lightning is around and we unplug when we're not home. I bet you'll come to love your laptop!

I hope you had a good weekend!

Jace said...

Janicu: I have a surge protector too, but since it was switched off (along with the PC and modem), it didn't work. :( Must always unplug the comp and all devices when there's lightning around! Boy, is this a good lesson or what?

Brandy: Unplugging all electrical devices and appliances when it's raining and when one's not at home is a very good practice - one that I'll be following for sure from now on. :) I'm liking the laptop and learning more about it as I go along. :)