Monday, December 20, 2010

How do your Christmas gifts look?

I decided to wrap some of my Christmas gifts in brown paper. (I usually use Christmassy wrapping papers but wanted to try something different this year.) Brown paper provides a neutral background for us to experiment with a host of embellishments, ribbons, etc.

click on images to enlarge
These are tied with red and green craft yarns to give them
the Christmassy feel. Very simple and easy.

The parcel in front left is tied with a yarn braid. I took a combination
of 3 red and green yarns and braided them.

Close-up of the yarn braid.

Tip: To make the braid, you need to determine how much yarn you need
by wrapping a piece of yarn/string around the present. Then, add 20% more.

The braiding process takes a bit of time. I think I spent a good 20 minutes or so
to braid this one.

Here are the instructions on how to make a braid.

9 comments:

Brandy said...

Very pretty. Newspaper (black and white) with red ribbon is pretty, too. In a simple and yet timeless look. I braid my hair every day. I wonder if this is a different type of braid. Hmmm. Will check it out.

Hope you're having a lovely day!

Jace said...

Hey B, you've given me an idea! Yes, black & white with red (and perhaps a bit of gold)! I've got to try this combination. :D Thank you!

That's right - you braid your hair! :D So braiding yarn should be very easy for you. :) I braided mine using the basic 3-strand method.

Brandy said...

I gave YOU an idea? Awesome! *g* I've wrapped a birthday gift for Chris using twine and newspaper before. I thought it looked manly. *g*
I use a three strand braid to do my hair. I like the last picture, your bow looks so pretty!

Jace said...

Twine and newspaper work as well. :) Would you believe that I've never used twine to wrap presents? I've got to try it next. :)

Brandy said...

Twine with maybe a faux holly leave or jingle bell might be cute. Just saying. *G*

Jace said...

Great suggestion! Keep your ideas coming. :D I just thought of something else ... I may post the pic later. ;)

Credit Repair Services said...

Christmas is a biggest festival in the world. All peoples enjoying in Christmas. Christmas gifts a re the effective in peoples. I think hand made gifts are very precious for anyone. It looks different from others.

Christine said...

I use store bought wrapping paper, but I love more "homemade" and creative wrapping like what you've done here. It makes the gift so much more personal somehow.

Jace said...

Hi, Christine. I think brown paper wrapping is quite the in-thing these days. :) They're cheap and go so well with all kinds of embellishment. I'll definitely use brown paper when I have more time to decorate the package.