Monday, July 19, 2010

Knitting again...

... and hope to persevere and be passably good this time. ;)

Let me recount for you my history with knitting.

I learnt to crochet when I was 11. (The lady at the yarn shop taught me the basics, but I learnt mostly through Japanese crochet books that featured charts/diagrams.) After crochet, and as a natural progression, I learnt knitting. Or tried to.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with knitting. Over 20+ years or so, I must have tried to learn to knit 5 or 6 times, each time not progressing beyond knit and purl. I found the long needles unwieldy; it was hard to get the tension right. And so, I gave up each time. *

A few days ago, I got it in my head to knit again. I don't know what happened - the cold I've been nursing for the last few days must have messed up something up there - I picked up my needles and some spare yarn, turned on YouTube, and re-learnt casting on, knit and purl. I'm quite resolved to continue learning this time. I've been knitting and purling for 3 days and I'm quite comfortable with the needles now. :) I've also learnt a new lace stitch which I want to use in the next shawl.

This is the latest, and 5th, swatch I've been practising on.

click on image to enlarge
The lace stitch is right below the needle.

I'm by no means good at it yet. The stitches are still wobbly and uneven - I'll keep practising. :)

Until the next one, be happy.


* But before I gave up the last time (oh, some 8 years ago), I did finish a wool scarf made solely using the knit stitch. I remember this scarf clearly - I made it for my cousin who was going to Australia to continue his education. The weather was turning cold and I wanted to make him something warm to remind him of home. He has now returned home and his mother told me he still has the scarf. :)

7 comments:

Brandy said...

I've tried to learn to knit and crochet and can't, so I admire you for doing so well. That's sweet that your cousin still has the scarf you made for him!
Just out of curiosity, what happened to the pretty pink teaser you showed us before?

Jace said...

I hope to get better at knitting soon as I want to knit a shawl. :) I'm practising every day.

Yes, it warms my heart to know my cousin still has that scarf. :)

The pink teaser. :D I'm still working on it - it's about 90% done.

azteclady said...

A suggestion that may make knitting feel a bit more comfortable: get circular needles.

I have every confidence that with your artistry you'll be aces at knitting in no time at all, Jace.

Brandy said...

I agree with azteclady. You master everything artistic, you make beautiful, lovely art.
Just wanted to say the purple of this project is gorgeous!

Jace said...

Azteclady: Thank you so much for your kind words, and the tip! I'll look for circular needles on my next trip to the yarn shop. :)

Brandy: You're very kind, B. :)

Starry said...

All my creations are solely knit.... the main reason for this is I'm a total daydreamer and can't follow a pattern... so if I drift off, I just start knitting again without worrying what I should be doing.

I am sure you will get really excellent at knitting because you are good with your hands and a determined person.

Jace said...

Starry, I tend to dream sometimes too. :) I want to knit a shawl soon so I hope I'll get better at knitting before too long. :) Thanks for your encouraging words.