Friday, June 11, 2010

Current Project - Part 3 - Finito!

click on images to enlarge
Here it is, ladies and gentlemen ... the Doily Tote Bag in all its glory. :D

Its humble beginnings are recorded in Part 1 and Part 2, if you're curious. ;)

Actually, it doesn't have a name. I just call it the "Doily" Tote Bag because I adapted a doily design to make its flap. I wanted a decorative flap to provide an interesting focus for the otherwise simple and plain bag. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The lacy design of the doily really pulls the whole look together. :)

(Oh, did I tell you I ripped the handles apart after I've finished them the first time? I didn't like the placement of the handles which caused the bag to "hang" wrong. Now you know.)

I was lucky enough to have found the red button. It's made of acrylic and cut like a jewel to reflect light. It's very pretty and this photo doesn't do it justice (sorry, I know I don't have any photography skills to speak off!).

Here's the doily flap up close and personal...


And in case you're wondering, I made this tote bag for my mom. :) She handpicked the colours and the design of the bag, but the flap she left to me. :D It measures 38 cm (15 inches) across its widest part, and 30.5 cm (12 inches) in height.

Will mom debut her bag at church this week? :)

20 comments:

Phyl said...

I like. It's very elegant. I hope she will take it to church and everywhere.

Taja said...

Oh wow! I like the bag. :D It looks great. Nice colors. And I think the name is great.

I'm rather sure your mom will love it. :)

WhimsyLoft.com said...

the doily flap gave this bag the BIG WOWZER! it really caught my eye. simple yet soooo very pretty. you are very talented.

hugz,
grace

zarina said...

What a grand idea. You are giving me idea about my tatting but then I don't make bags - in any craft whatever.

azteclady said...

That is beautiful, Jace--what size hook did you use? From the images it seems to be quite small, I can't imagine the work to make a big bag with small stitches!

Congratulations on a spectacular finish (the doily flap) to the project!

Brandy said...

It's GORGEOUS! Absolutely GORGEOUS! Your mother is going to wear that bag with pride!

Jace said...

Phyl: Thanks! :) My mom said she liked it very much and will be using it for sure. :)

Taja: Thank you - glad to know you think it looks great and the (somewhat dorky) name is great too. :D

Grace: Thanks very much for your kind words. :)

Zarina: I'm sure you can use your tatting in various ways. :) Tattings are so delicate and lovely - they will pretty up whatever they embellish. :)

Azteclady: The hook I used was a 4 mm Tulip hook - I think it's the equivalent of a size 6 US hook? I worked the entire bag (including the straps) in single crochet stitches. I know - it was a lot of work! - but I wanted a real tight weave since I wasn't going to put in a lining. ;)

Brandy: Glad you think it's gorgeous. :) Thank you!

Brandy said...

Jace, just wanted to say I noticed your new header and it's beautiful.

K said...

J,
OMG, your bag is so stunningly beautiful! It has to be hard to give it away, even to your mom.
I'm happy that you like my pics and put them always to good use.
hugs K

Jace said...

Brandy: The flowers are beautiful, aren't they? :) My friend, K, takes the most wonderful pics of her flowers and plants.

K: So happy to have you drop by! Thanks! It wasn't hard to give it to my mom 'coz I had been thinking of it as "hers" all along. :) Besides, the colours aren't "my" colours at all - too striking for me. :)

You take the most beautiful flower and plant pics and it's my pleasure to display them here. :) Thank you for sharing them.

Starry said...

wow, what a head turner! great bag Jace, I'm sure your mum will enjoy using it very much.
I'm just reading the book that comes after Forest of Hands and Teeth, I don't suppose you know if there are any more to follow?

have a great creative week, Starry

Jace said...

Thanks, Starry. :) Glad to know you're enjoying the Forest Of Hands And Teeth series. Yes, there's a 3rd book. If I'm not mistaken, the name is Dark And Hollow Places and it'll be out in March 2011.

baby gifts said...

What a cute and lovely bag! I hope I know also how to do a crochet so I can make such beautiful project. ;)

Jace said...

Baby Gifts, thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. :)

Christine said...

LOVE IT!!!!! Wow.... it's stunning, Jace. Well done!! :D

Jace said...

Thank you, Christine. :)

jessyz said...

It is so pretty

Jace said...

Jessyz, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm glad you think this bag is pretty. :)

naynay Lee said...

I love this bag. I wish there was a video

Terryoakley22 said...

Beautiful!!!