Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reading a lot!

Hey everyone,

The reason I've been so silent recently is because I've been reading A LOT. I've been bitten by the sci-fi and fantasy bug, it seems. This is one of those times when I read one book right after another, without a break. When I do this, I can't craft. :( Hopefully, the reading bug will ease off soon and I can get back to finishing that project of my last post.

This is what I'm reading right now...

This is an interesting zombie story told in a simple way. I'm about 1/3 through and I'm finding it engrossing. You can read more about it here.

Edited to add (14 May 2010): I've finished this book and I must say I'm disappointed. What bothered me the most was the heroine. I'm the type of reader who must like, or at least understand, the lead character(s) in order to dig a book. I found the heroine selfish and unlikeable. The love triangle, subtle though it was, went nowhere and that, to me, was a tease that I could do without! The suspense/creepy moments were well done, while the writing was simple and straightforward. There were too many unanswered questions which I guess would be revealed in the next book, but I don't plan on reading it. My final rating is 3 out of 5.

I must mention the last book I finished...

This is a pretty damn good book! It's an almost 500-page medieval-ish fantasy yarn featuring a strongly characterized and memorable hero. I rated it 5 out of 5; it's very rare that I love a book this much anymore. Read more about this story here.

The interesting thing is, I didn't love Bujold's writing in the last (sci-fi) book that I read, Cordelia's Honor. But I simply adored her writing in this one. Hmmmm...

5 comments:

Christine said...

Yay! The Reading Bug is FUN!! :)

Glad you're enjoying your reads.

Brandy said...

Whew! I was getting worried when we hadn't heard from you. Glad to know you're reading!

Starry said...

Well I will definitely have to check out those books, since I am the opposite to you at the moment, too much crafting no reading, haven't read since just before my mum's surgery....

Enjoy both your reading and your creating, xoxox

zarina said...

For me I need to FIND time to complete a book I have signed up as a bookring. I am almost a quarter done in a bit less than one month. SIGH

Jace said...

Christine: Yes, it's fun going on a reading marathon again. :D Not so good for my crafting though.

Brandy: Sorry! I hadn't been on the internet very much over the last 1+ weeks due to all the reading, but I'm de-hibernating myself now. :D

Starry: That's great you're in the crafting mode! :) I'm sending creative energy your way.

Zarina: Sometimes, that's just how it is - reading eats up time! You're so busy ... I know it's tough to find time to do so many things AND read. That's why when the reading bug bites me, I drop everything and read to my heart's content. :) I know the time will come when I'll be crafting nonstop (or doing other things) and not read at all.